What is Android?
Android is an open source operating system based on Linux with a Java programming interface for mobile devices such as Smartphone (Touch Screen Devices who supports Android OS) as well for Tablets too.
Android was developed by the Open Handset Alliance (OHA), which is led by Google. The Open Handset Alliance (OHA) is consortium of multiple companies like Samsung, Sony, Intel and many more to provide a services and deploy handsets using android platform.
The android is a powerful operating system and it supports large number of applications in Smartphones. These applications are more comfortable and advanced for the users.
The hardware that supports android software is based on ARM architecture platform. The android is an open source operating system means that it’s free and any one can use it. The android has got millions of apps available that can help you managing your life one or other way and it is available low cost in market at
that reasons android is very popular.
Android is a powerful open source operating system which provides a lot of great features, those are
- It’s an open source and we can customize the OS based on our requirements.
- It support a connectivity for GSM, CDMA, WIFI, NFC, Bluetooth, etc. for telephony or data transfer. It will allow us to make or receive a calls / SMS messages and we can send or retrieve a data across mobile networks
- By using WIFI technology we can pair with other devices using apps
- Android have a multiple APIs to support a location-based services such as GPS
- We can perform all data storage related activities by using light weight database SQLite.
- It have a wide range of media supports like AVI, MKV, FLV, MPEG4 etc. to play or record variety of audio / video and having a different image formats like JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, MP3, etc.
- It has an extensive support for multimedia hardware control to perform playback or recording using camera and microphone
- It has an integrated open source webkit layout based web browser to support HTML5, CSS3
- It supports a multi-tasking, we can move from one task window to another and multiple applications can run simultaneously
- It will give a chance to reuse the application components and the replacement of native applications.
- We can access the hardware components like Camera, GPS, and Accelerometer
- It has a support for 2D/3D Graphics